It’s time for some Homestead Planning …
Well, another year has come and gone! It’s time to set up some of my hopes, dreams, and plans for the upcoming summer season. I have come a long way with my small homestead, but there is still so much to learn and do!
There are a lot of skills I don’t have and a lot of things I would love to accomplish or learn how to do. I made a list of these way back when and try to knock some off as I go. I know that to make this a sustainable life for myself it needs to take time. Of course, the main goal is to become completely self-sufficient and live off of my own land and quit my 9-5.
So here are my goals for the year. I think will really propel me into creating a homestead I can actually live on instead of just being a garden I can munch on!
- This year I want to increase the size of my garden. Right now the main garden is about 8×12 feet. I would like to extend that to about 14×30 feet. This is adding quite a bit which will allow me to add more of what we need in the garden.
- Last year we had a huge problem with rabbits, and I’m sure we will this coming year as well. To help solve this issue I would also like to build a fence around the main vegetable garden. We just finished fixing our roof in November, so we have a lot of leftover material. I plan to use as much of this as I can to save on costs. For the fence around my main vegetable garden, I have figured out that I will only need to buy chicken wire to finish it.
- I would also like to create at least one other garden, about 3 feet by 16 feet. This garden will be for perennial plants we can grow that will come back each year. I think by keeping these separate we will be less likely to harm them.
- More fruit in general. I’d love to get some trees, apples, cherries maybe plums that I can plant at the back of my lot. Some blueberries would also be great as I know my niece and nephew love them and so do I. Right now we have strawberries, raspberries, and grapes so it would be nice to have even more.
- Something I have wanted to do for a long time! This summer I am going to build at least a three compartment compost bin. Again I have so many things I can use around the house so this will cost me nothing!
- I would also like to create a worm farm to help enrich my soil.
- As far as the house goes we did a large purchase last year and put a new steel roof on the house. This will last for at least as long as we own the home. Since I was able to do it myself with the help of a friend we only paid material – and since he is a roofer by trade we also got a discount on that. Although it did leave us with a lot of extra wood for building etc. we do need to reorganize and declutter this place! So we’ve decided to really go through our home and sell anything and everything we can. Everything else we will upcycle or try to store it in a better location for easier access in the future.
- I would love to organize our shop. Right now it is full of things and I’d love to take a real inventory and use what I can to accomplish the tasks I would like to complete!
- This year we will get closer to raising our own chickens and having our own eggs. I will be building a chicken coop. Since we have a lot of leftover material … and I don’t through away building material anyway – I will be able to build this for next to nothing.
- Learn more about chickens. I mean we had lots of chickens when we lived on our farm when I was younger. However, that was a long time ago now and I have been learning how to take care of them but would like to look more into the kind of breed we want to get.
In The Kitchen
- I want to focus on doing a lot more canning this year.
- I want to fill my freezer! We have had good years from our garden but I would like to really fill the freezer for the winter, my goal is to ultimately have enough produce that I can eat fresh all summer while still being able to put large amounts away for the winter.
There are really a ton of other things I want to do in order to create my idea of the perfect homestead, however I do know it takes time. I may accomplish more this summer but this it the list of things I absolutely want to complete!
What are your plans for the summer? Anything you’d like to grow or do, create or build?